Al Zubarah Fort
Situated just 100 km west of Doha lies the town of Al Zubarah, an important archaeological site famous for its old fort. This fort-turned-museum was constructed in 1938 during the reign of Sheikh Abdullah Bin Jassim Al-Thani and was erected on the ruins of a neighbouring fort. The fort itself is squre-shaped with circular towers in three of its corners and a rectangular tower in the fourth. With high, thick walls, this fort also served as a coast-guard station and, until the mid-1980’s, was used by the military.